
The subject of cutting specials out of some school's curriculum is a very political issue because it involves our children's education. The State decides what is "important" and what isnt in our school systems, and they choose to think that the specials are not important. I would disagree because the specials are a time where the children can grow creatively and not just academically, which in some instances is just as important. One big example of politics in school is when our Federal Government came up with the No Child Left Behind Act, which tells how our schools should be run. That shows how much of our children's education is truly just a political game.
Honestly, this subject shouldnt have to play the politics game because our children's education should be something that everybody agrees on, but that isnt the real world. The real world has differing opinions about absolutely everything, including education and the issue of cutting specials. Some politicans think that we should have standards for everything in school and not worry about art and music classes for example, so they push for legislation to make that happen. But, every child is different in their learning process and learning speed. So this wouldnt make any sense. We need to encourage individual learning so that children who are slower learners don't get frustrated and give up hope for themselves and their learning, which happens a lot today. We should not look at the political side of the agenda when it comes to our children's education, we should look at the facts and make schools a place where children can grow in every single aspect of school, including the specials.
Taylor, are parents really up in arms about the absence of specials? Visually, I don't see any protest. I'm thinking that parents have acquiesced to the view that we must push children into the sciences in order for our nation to meet the challenge of China, Japan, and India. Am I wrong?
ReplyDeleteI also wonder if parents have not opted to provide "specials" themselves. I'm suggesting that while schools once provided exposure to art and music, these things have been transferred to the home. Whether children are being exposed outside of schools seems not to be of concern, yet I think this is the public's escape hatch.
I think that there are some parents today that are not involved in the school so they either have no idea that their child's school did away with specials or they just do not care in general. It seems like more and more parents are not involved in their child's education and therefore they do not make a fuss about it.
ReplyDeleteI personally wish that politics didn't matter as much as they do. However, we all live in the real world and we all know that they have a HUGE infulence on what takes place in schools. And unfortunately I don't think the children's best interests are ALWAYS kept at heart. I also think that Megan is correct in saying that some parents are not as involved in their child's school and education as they maybe should be. I don't really think that this is because parents care less about their children today; I think it is just what society has come to, people are too busy to focus on the little things in life. Unfortunately I believe that parents view specials as a "little thing" in life and choose to not stand up for keeping them in our schools. I am not saying that this right or wrong, I just think this is what society has come to today.
ReplyDelete