
In recent years elementary schools have cut way back on "specials" time. "Specials" are classes such as art, music, and gym class that students attend each week in a seperate classroom from their home room, with a field specialized teacher. As a ninteen year old, I can remember even the short time ago when I myself was in elementary school looking forward every week to these fun activities that allowed my classmates and I to learn in a more non-traditional setting, because at that young age it doesn't feel like learning at all. Time each week continues to be cut from these activities as years progress. Recess time has also been on a steady decline in recent years. The students in elementary school are not being given an appropriate amount of time in these "specials" in my opinion, although children do need to understand their core subjects in order to learn new subjects. "Specials" are being cut due to lack of cash flow in the school system, as well as updated State Standards that each teacher must meet by the end of each school year. With the amount of State Standards needing to be met in subjects such as math, english, science, ect. there is little time left over for anything extra. The question I would like to raise is this, how is this affecting children's stress level, and ability to focus on their work?
Although I feel many would like to beleive that a child should have the maturity level of an adult, we must remember that at an elementary school level especially, children must be children first and foremost. This is especially true in the lower elementary (k-3). I personally feel that a child will not learn as well in a cold, strict learning environment as they would in a fun friendly atmosphere. Teaching in a "black and white" format will not give the child the advantages in the long run, where making learning exciting and almost tricking them into learning information will stick with them because they enjoyed themselves. There are also many talents that individuals possess that cannot be accurately discovered by sitting a child in a classroom all day every day, and giving them opportunities to explore other interests they might possess. This is where the "specials" come into play, when I was a cadet teacher in high school I worked in a kindergarten classroom where I saw children struggle with reading, but once a paintbrush was in their hands you would never know they didn't do well in school. These "specials" also allow children to burn off some energy by doing fun activities, sitting in a desk all day at such a young age is very difficult for some children. Even adults need movement to stimulate their brains, how can we expect anyone to learn to their full potential when we are taking away the tools to a well rounded education?
I agree with your post completely. Children, especially young children have an attention span that is not very long, and by having specials, they get to get up and move around, leave the classroom, and depending on what special it is, they will be getting physical activity in some sort of way. I was doing the kindergarten assessing for a school around where I live this past December, and it seemed as if the students left for gym class, and they returned as quick as they left. The head teacher told me that they are only allowing 50 minutes for gym, 50 minutes for music, and they get an hour in art. When one thinks about it, art is kind of in an instructional format just like the classroom. Some young children do well with that, others struggle, so I believe they need to have some sort of "special" and options for everyone. In high school it is a completely different story because the kids more than likely get to pick their classes, and if I remember right, all the way up to your freshman year you have gym, choir is an option, as well as art. I believe high school kids should have that option to choose the elective because they are preparing for their future and the field they want to be in, not young children.
ReplyDeleteIt is scary to think that someday schools will eliminate all "specials" and the kids will be in the classroom 24/7. I guess in a way it is a positive aspect for the teacher, because they can and should be as creative as they want, that way their students can sing the colors, do jumping jacks to numbers, or be creative with their art by coloring a picture. "Specials" are a plus in my book, and if they are ever eliminated, I hope I can be that teacher that will bring the "specials" into the classroom while sticking to the standards.
Nice posts. I too hope teachers will always find ways to include art and music into their other curricula.
ReplyDelete"Specials" were something I looked forward to every day in elementary school. It was a time to learn and create projects with someone different than my teacher. In the afternoons, I watch a girl who is in first grade. When I ask her how her day went, she always tells me what she did in "specials" that day. It is obviously a time that she is able to be creative and not have to sit at her desk. I think "specials" also benefit the teacher. It gives them extra time to prep. State Standards have increased and prep time is needed in order for teachers to plan new strategies on how to help students meet these standards that currently some kids are not.
ReplyDeleteI think that everyone can agree that having “specials” in school made it a lot more enjoyable. Even if a student wasn’t good at gym class and didn’t love going their usually was something that he or she was good at and did enjoy going to such as an art or music class. When I read this post one thing that popped in my head that is from a different perspective is the teacher’s position. Yes students have recess and lunch, but having students go to “specials” allows a teacher to run and make those copies they forgot about, to make that phone call home because she is concerned about Timmy’s actions, or even to prep for the next project so that everything has a good flow from one thing to the next. Most people, especially college, and relate to that one time where “that extra ten minutes saved me” The time for specials isn’t just good for the children; it’s good for the teacher as well.
ReplyDeleteThis is a very good post and I agree completely. I think that adults in general forget that kids are still kids and they need time to just be a kid. I truly do not belive that by pushing standards the way they do, helps our students. Quite honestly as a child when I was pushed to do something that I really didn't want to do, it only made me dislike that activity even more. I think that by pushing our students so hard for the standards it makes them, often time, learn to hate school. By choosing standards over specials it takes away the only time of day that many kids look forward to in school. I hope that if the funding of schools requires that these specials are cut, the teachers will find a way to incorperate some of these specials into their own classrooms so the kids still have something to look forward to during their day.
ReplyDeleteI agree specials release the stress of sitting at a desk learning all day. I know a teacher who incorporates extra activities that allow the children to be active during class time and her students are improving their grades. They enjoy it and it helps keep them on track. We can't take away letting kids be a kids, we have to use it to our advantage as future teachers.
ReplyDelete