
When you were in elementary school, you probably remember gym class as a fun way to run around and play games for a time period either in the morning or afternoon. I remember it as going down to the gym, stretching and running a few laps then leading into a steal the bacon or kick ball game that everyone for the most part got into. But what happens when we take this part of the day or week for students out completely? Schools are recently taking out these types of activities; such as gym, art, and music,or what I call "specials" out of the school day. In an article I found from Michigan State University Libraries,schools today are starting to cut back or completely cut out gym classes and are telling students that they should find the time outside of the classroom to ex cerise.
A huge influence on why schools are taking out such activities are because of standardize testing. Corporations want their schools to succeed and you will not succeed if you do not put the time and effort into doing so. Therefore they will cut out these "specials" in order to make the time needed for students to learn.
This brings up many issues, especially in the lower academic level. Students NEED the time apart from the classroom. Even if it is a small time of ten to fifteen minutes a day to have students run around and let off a little desk cramp, then do so. Students at that age have a hard time sitting in one place all at once for a long period of time anyways. I think that having a variety of extra activities for them do, weather it be gym class, art, music, or even recess, their brains can take a break from the standardizing of the entire school day.
Ladies, take a look at this letter from Arne Duncan. I think he is suggesting a move in the right direction.
ReplyDeletehttp://www2.ed.gov/news/pressreleases/2009/08/08182009a.pdf
AM
I agree with what you said completely. I also believe “specials” are extremely important. One fact that I feel school have forgotten is that oxygen helps the brain. If you sit in a classroom all day and don’t ever move or only move out of your seat a few times that could be an issue. I think that students with disabilities such as ADHD are at an even bigger disadvantage. Not being able to ever get up or leave the classroom will hurt any child and the stab will be even deeper for those that already struggle with things outside of the “normal” child. Specials are necessary for many reasons. As a future educator it will be challenging to make sure that I am incorporating things that are considered “special” even if it just a fun activity because of distraction from the schools requirements. But in reality when you consider it if you have to teach something over and over again because students are so brain dead you aren’t really taking a step forward anyways. I vote to include specials!
ReplyDeleteCutting specials will not help children learn, in fact it will probably hinder them more than anything because after a while the children cannot concentrate as well while they are in class. Children like fun things to do (dont we all?) and sitting still and quiet in a chair all day does not sound like fun to me. They need to be able to move at recess and in gym class, and use their creativity during music and art classes. Even if the movement lasts for fifteen minutes a day, that is better than nothing. Also, teachers should be incorporating movement and creativity in their lesson plans to make up for the lost time that the children have in gym and art classes.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Taylor. Teachers should incorporate some sort of involvement where students are moving, but there also needs to be times where students need to learn the idea of being patient and working quietly. There is a time and a place for everything. Mixing up lessons with movement and quiet time will teach students the importance of both. Also, if there is a loss time for gym class, especially in the younger grades, I think it is the teachers responsibility to incorporate some sort of physical activity throughout the school day.
ReplyDeleteI think this post brings up very valid points and ideas. I do not agree with the schools cutting specials at all. My question is, if America's obesity rate is on the rise why would we cut exercise out of our students' daily lives. I understand that they believe the students should find time outside of school to exercise and run around, but in all honesty let's face it; when kids go home they are busy doing homework, watching tv, and playing video games. Kids do not usually have interest in going and exercising unless it is in the form of a fun game. Therefore, unless the parents are behind the students pushing them to play a sport or run around they are not going to do it. I strongly believe that gym classes should be kept in schools not only for health reasons but also as a time that the students can burn off their cooped up energy.
ReplyDelete